Diet for Tachycardia patient

• Discussion
  •  Donna Stephens Coughlan #510
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 2.82

I have a pacemaker for a second-degree heart block and when I recently went for a check up for pacemaker they found I had an episode of Tachycardia back in March. My heart raced at 200 beats per minute in the lower part of my heart where the pacemaker works 91 percent of the time to keep my heart rate up as it is blocked.

I need to change my diet and not sure if this is the way. I was always a relatively fit, strong, no medication person before the heart block.

•  Keith Taylor #512
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 830.72

Hi Donna,

You say “I need to change my diet and not sure if this is the way”. But, I’m not sure what you mean by “if this is the way”. Are you referring to a specific diet? Or, just diet in general.

If you mean diet in general, I recommend the best starting point is the DASH diet. But, as with all changes to diet, you should discuss it with your doctor first. In particular, you should make changes to your diet slowly. Because rapid changes in diet can cause tachycardia problems. Also, certain dietary supplements are associated with tachycardia. So, your diet should be as natural as possible, based on whole foods.

Anyway, I’m sure I can help you improve your diet. Especially if you explain to me, what you currently eat. As ever, the more personal information you provide, the better I can make my answers.

DASH Food Pyramid
    Tachycardia (tachyarrhythmia) is abnormally fast heart rate. Over 100 beats a minute. Pacemakers reduce heart palpitations. But, can DASH diet also help?

You should log in to Foodary to create a new topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can create a new topic via the red Food Help button, or raise a new Foodary helpdesk ticket.