3 tbsp olive oil
    2 garlic cloves
    200ml (7fl oz/generous ¾ cup) coconut milk
    80g (3oz) goat’s Cheddar, grated
    40g (1½oz) flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to garnish
    ½ red chilli, finely sliced, to garnish
    Watercress, to serve

Method
    1. Place the lentils in a small pan, cover with water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10–15 minutes, until al dente. Drain and set aside.
    2. Place the diced butternut squash on a baking tray (cookie sheet), drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and bake for 10 minutes, until nearly tender. Leave the oven switched on.
    3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a pan and sauté the garlic until softened. Stir in the lentils and squash with 50ml (2fl oz/scant ¼ cup) of the coconut milk and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
    4. Pour the mixture into an ovenproof baking dish or 4 individual ramekins, pour over the remaining coconut milk and bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle over the grated goat’s Cheddar and return to the oven to melt the cheese.
    6. Serve with some watercress and sprinkled with chopped parsley and the sliced chilli if you like a bit of heat.

Is it a good recipe for my alkaline diet?

•  Keith Taylor #56
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 830.72

Thanks, that looks tasty to me.

You have to realize that an alkaline diet is not just about one meal. It’s about balancing total acid load at your kidneys on a daily basis. Strictly speaking, as I explained in Redefining pH Balance Diet Scores, the only way to test is by measuring urine pH.

This is not always practicable, so we can apply a scoring system to food to estimate its acid or alkaline effect.

I’m trying to find an easier way to do this, because PRAL calculations can become tedious.

Having said that, if enough people are interested, I will calculate the PRAL values for this lentil, coconut, and cheese bake. To show your interest, please just ask for the PRAL values in a reply to this.

•  Jesartp #58

These look so pretty! I aluatlcy saw some of these squash at the local farmers market and I had to ask what they were because I had no idea. Now I’m a bit curious to try one, although my one spaghetti squash plant went crazy this summer and I’m still working on those. I saw a picture of spaghetti squash baked with the sauce and cheese on top and I’ve been thinking about it ever since. I can’t wait to try out my own version, although your lentil sauce does look and sound delicious November 10, 2011 Reply

•  Keith Taylor #63
      Ŧallars: Ŧ 830.72

Hi Jesartp,

I think the nice thing about recipes is that they make a good starting point for different meals. You can often substitute different ingredients, and any type of squash will work fine. I often substitute red sweet potato for squash, and spinach for parsley.

You should log in to Foodary to create a new topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can create a new topic via the red Food Help button, or raise a new Foodary helpdesk ticket.