Basal Cell skin Cancer (BCC) and Alkaline Diet

• Discussion
  •  Foodary Feedback #764

Thanks. I’m happy to know my red wine is all right for an alkaline diet. I am just learning about it and am finding that I actually eat alkaline naturally. I was just worried about wine.

I have recurring basal cell skin cancer that concerns me, and thought maybe being strictly alkaline might help.

Bummer about bacon 😥

[Posted via Feedback Form. But note that form is mainly for non-urgent suggestions about improving Foodary information. So if you need personal replies you should Start a new Healthy Eating Forum Topic. Or join an existing discussion that matches your question.]

Diet and basal cell skin cancer
    Can diet help and basal cell skin cancer?
  •  Keith Taylor #775
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1,194.58

Thank you for your feedback.

I’m sorry to hear about your skin cancer problems. Unfortunately, I can’t find any evidence to suggest that alkaline diet has any benefits. Since most studies I’ve found are more related to environmental issues such as:

• Ultraviolet radiation
    • Photosensitizing drugs
    • Ionizing radiation
    • Chemicals
    • Smoking
    • Human papillomaviruses
    • Systemic immunosuppression

That list is from:
    Verkouteren, J. A. C., K. H. R. Ramdas, Marlies Wakkee, and Tamar Nijsten. “Epidemiology of basal cell carcinoma: scholarly review.” British Journal of Dermatology 177, no. 2 (2017): 359-372.
    Which also states the evidence for dietary factors is inconsistent and inconclusive.

However, another report lists dietary factors that might be useful targets for further research:
    Payette, Michael J., James Whalen, and Jane M. Grant-Kels. “Nutrition and nonmelanoma skin cancers.” Clinics in dermatology 28, no. 6 (2010): 650-662.
    Which lists a number of potentials: Less fat, folate, and metals (copper, iron, zinc); more Vitamin A, C, and E, selenium, and green tea.

More recently, there’s potential good news in a 2008 nutrition study:
    Fortes, C., S. Mastroeni, F. Melchi, M. A. Pilla, G. Antonelli, D. Camaioni, M. Alotto, and P. Pasquini. “A protective effect of the Mediterranean diet for cutaneous melanoma.” International journal of epidemiology 37, no. 5 (2008): 1018-1029.
    Which concludes:

Overall, our findings suggest that some dietary factors present in the Mediterranean diet might protect from cutaneous melanoma.

Personally, I find these days it is much easier to adopt Mediterranean style eating patterns than spend time calculating PRAL scores. But I’m happy to help people find information on any type of diet. Because that helps you discuss with your doctor how lifestyle changes can support your treatment plan.

You should log in to Foodary to reply to this topic.

If you need more information, get it from Keith Taylor’s Log-in Help.