Canola is bad, so research it

• Discussion
  •  Khalif Foster #762
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 5.54

So, it came from canada and it was used because it is cheap. The point any oil or anything from company or government can’t be trust because they don’t care about us. So, that oil is not Alkaline but Acid because it breaks down body, so you mention it is Alkaline that mean it is good but it is not so it is acid. So, why ya assume it is good? Do ya look and research by using pral to see if canola oil is good or not?? Ya can measure using pral to see if that oil is good or not. And tell people how people can use pral to see if food good for you.

So, it has tran fat so very long chain of fat, so what 5 essential N, is fat under?? If it is not, then fat is secondary reaction of first reaction from series or two co-primary that cause result which it is secondary, so that secondary cause next process of -ary, that is third – ary, and so on. So, it probably don’t have 5 essential N, or it has it but too low, so it cause problem to body. So, it is positive pral that cause acid in body which cause break down in body. So, canola is connect to rapeseed that is mustard plant, the yellow one, which it is bad as one kind of mustard plant.

Healthy Effects of Canola Oil
    Which health benefit of Canola Oil is most important to you?
  •  Keith Taylor #766
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1,194.58

Thank you for taking time to post your opinions about canola oil. But your opinions would carry more weight if you backed your claims with evidence.

Anyway, I took your advice and researched canola oil. So I found lots of research related to the health benefits. But I’ll just mention one scientific review for now. Because it summarises almost 100 studies about canola. Including a few about ‘low erucic acid rapeseed oil’:
    Lin, Lin, Hanja Allemekinders, Angela Dansby, Lisa Campbell, Shaunda Durance-Tod, Alvin Berger, and Peter JH Jones. “Evidence of health benefits of canola oil.” Nutrition reviews 71, no. 6 (2013): 370-385. (Full study available for any Foodary members interested in collaborative research projects).

That study concludes:

After 15 years of continuing research on canola oil since the latest review by Dupont et al., evidence shows a number of potential health benefits of canola oil consumption (Figure 2). Canola oil can now be regarded as one of the healthiest edible vegetable oils in terms of its biological functions and its ability to aid in reducing disease-related risk factors and improving health.

I’ve included Figure 2 (Evidence of the effect of canola oil on health-related risk factors.) from that report as my featured image for this topic.

Note that the health benefits described by the reports have nothing to do with PRAL. Firstly, most oils, including canola, are PRAL neutral. But just as a PRAL-based alkaline diet must include some acid foods, it should also include neutral foods to provide total nutrient balance. Remember, PRAL is just a scoring system to tell us the likelihood that our diet is alkalizing or acidifying. It is not a substitute for analyzing healthy nutrient balance.

I find your final paragraph very difficult to read and understand. You appear to be complaining about the trans-fat content of canola oil. Many people misunderstand that problem. So you should understand that trans-fats in most oils arise from the extraction process. I.e. they are a product of processing the oil, not a natural part of the oil.

If you buy cheap canola oil, it will almost certainly contain significant trans-fat. Prolonged high temperature causes the same problem. So if you fail to change the oil in your fryer regularly you get more trans-fats.

The way to include canola oil in your diet is to buy cold-pressed oil that is free from trans-fats. But beware this warning from Harvard:

When considered in the context of other commercial fats, the low trans-fat content of canola oil is no different from other vegetable oils. But one word of caution is appropriate. Bottles of canola, soybean, and corn oil in the supermarket proudly proclaim “Contains zero grams of trans-fat.” Read the fine print that states zero grams of trans-fat per serving, which is only one tablespoon, or about 14 grams of oil. The FDA allows any component that is less than 0.5 grams per serving to be listed as zero grams!

You should log in to Foodary to reply to this topic.

If you need more information, get it from Keith Taylor’s Log-in Help.